- How do we use properties to identify substances?
- Which properties are chemical?
- Which properties are physical?
- How are the properties of materials utilized in society?
- Is there such a thing as a universal material that is used for everything?
Properties help us identify a substance. The properties of a substance also determines its function and purpose in society.
Some basic properties include the following:
- Color, Shape, Odor
- Malleability, Brittle, Plasticity
- Ability to conduct heat / electricity
- Melting & Boiling points
- Phase state at room temperature
- Tensile Strength
- How light interacts with the material (Opaque, Translucent, Transparent)
- Refraction Index
- Crystal Structure
- Molecular Weight
- pH (Acidity)
- Vapor Pressure
- Ability to dissolve in other substances (Solubility)
- Flash point
- Smoking Point
Common household materials
News Source: Fox