As a student, I earned my first and second Bachelors at Utah Valley University (Graduated Cum Laude) and will soon be working on my Masters. My first degree was in Integrated Studies with emphases in Business & Earth Science, but I decided to focus on Science Education - so I earned a second degree in Earth Science Education. While there I've been an academic tutor for over 3 years, was involved with Sigma Alpha Lambda Honors Society, briefly Volunteered with Telos, an organization that worked with "At Risk Youth", involved in my church, managed Strawberry Lodge, and was a Team Leader & Corporate Trainer for H&R Bloch's Tech Support at Sento just to name a few.
I have been teaching science for the past 7 years. I started out at Willowcreek Middle School, then moved out here to Vista Heights Middle School and have loved every minute of it. I am currently the Team Discover Team Leader, Data Specialist, Science Olympiad Coach, and previously the Science Department Chair. Over the course of this last summer - I got the privilege to work with BYU's independent studies online curriculum to assist in the development of their 7th grade material.
Since the first year that I have taught - Willowcreek increased it's overall State CRT scores by as much as 16%. Each year since, our scores have always increased. When Vista Heights opened up - we placed 3rd in the District in our subject area, and we are still improving. My goal with the students is to not only make science an enjoyable subject, but to also improve our state test scores every year. My secret to success - make it memorable, and make it fun.
I am also a father of 3 active boys and have been married to the same beautiful woman for 14 years and counting. I am actively involved in my church as a Cub Scout Master, Elder's Quorum Teacher and Stake Sunday School Secretary. I also try to get out every once in a while to see the world around me. On my spare time I work at ACE Hardware on the weekends and heavily dabble with photography and handyman stuff as a side business. If you're interested in my photography, email me at email@example.com.
- Physics, (2016-2018) University of Utah
- Earth Science Education, Utah Valley University (2007)
- Integrated Studies with an emphasis in Business & Earth Systems (2006)
Internship and Work Experience:
- Science Educator: Vista Heights Middle School, Saratoga Springs, UT. (2010-Present)
- Science Educator: Willowcreek Middle School, Lehi, UT. (2007-2010)
- Corporate Trainer & Team Leader: Sento Corporation, Orem, UT. (2006-2007)
- Science Peer Tutor: UVSC – Learning Enrichment Center. (2001-2002; 2005-2007)
- Soils Lab Technician: Kleinfelder, Taylorsville, UT. (2001-2001)
- SEED Swap, University of Utah (2017)
- Utah Science Teacher Association (2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- CERTS (2008, 2009, 2010)
- Alpine School District (2007-Present)
- Salt Lake Institute (2012)
- "Teaching with Space" Utah Air Force Association, AEROSPACE EDUCATION FOUNDATION, Clearfield High School, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AAIA) (May 7, 2011)
Awards & Recognition
- Spirit of Alpine - Contribution Recognition Award (2015)
- BYU Online Curriculum Development (2013)
- Westlake Cluster Teacher of the Year - (2012)
- Teacher of the Year - Alpine District (2012)
- National Praxis Recognition of Excellence - (2011)
- Team Spirit Award Recipient, Science Olympiad, Westminster College & Great Salt Lake Institute (2011)
- Sigma Alpha Lambda National Leadership & Honors Organization (2004)
- College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA) (2002 & 2006)
- Wolverine Spirit Award - (2001)
- Eagle Scout - (1992)
This is my wife and kids - whom I love very much.
Me with Dr. Derek Muller from Veritasium and my long time science and college buddy Christian Burrell at a Utah Science Teachers conference.
This is my group of science teacher geeks. As you can see - we LOVE SCIENCE! That's me in the back.